Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Passage

October 3, 2008 changed my life forever.  I can only imagine that it was similar to what another Anthony J Albury experienced on January 10, 1981. I can remember sitting in the L&D watching the hospital workers prep my wife for her C-section.  I was anxious, nervous, excited, scared, and a host of other emotional and rational adjectives.  I had thought about this day for over 9 months.  As the staff wheeled my wife into the operating room, they told me to sit in a chair and wait for them to come get me.  It felt like hours passed before they said, “Ok, you can come in now”.  As I walked into the OR I realized that I was moving from a son to a father.  I can remember holding my wife’s hand, and listening to the sounds of the delivery room.  I had my camera around my neck in anticipation of that first picture of my new blessing.  Nine months of preparation and waiting ceased  in less than 3 minutes as our doctor picked him up and said, “ok dad snap away”.  At that moment the whole earth stood still in my mind.  My hands seemed heavy and I couldn’t pick up my camera.  Seconds seemed like hours as I tried to take one picture of my son.  So many thoughts ran through my head.  Am I going to be a good father?  Will I be able to provide?  I have my own issues that I don’t want to pass to this innocent offspring of mine.   I was finally able to snap a picture.  The nurses then wiped him off and told me I could come over and see him as they stitched up my wife.  As I walked over to the table my knees started to buckle as I peered into his eyes. As my son struggled to determine shapes and the voices around him, I started to shape his future and the magnitude of becoming his voice changed my life instantly. I knew from that moment that I would do everything possible to always be there for him. I lost my dad to a stroke, 9 years prior to that, and all I could think about was what could have been if my Dad had not passed and how many boys/men have been denied the opportunity to be reared by their fathers. My son will be 3 this year, and I'm still overwhelmed by the level of love that I have for him. It's often said that FATHERHOOD is a responsibility and not a privilege but I say it's both. I'm enjoying watching my son grow into a little gentlemen and learning so much about myself in the process.

Just Me
*Father and Son*

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing a father's perspective at birth. It's refreshing to hear from a real person about a father also undergoes some emotional roller coasters at the birth of their children. Too often, emotions are overlooked if they aren't accompanied by tears.

    Keep blogging, AJ.

    ReplyDelete