Monday, April 18, 2011

Where Were You?


                My father was very present in my life until his death over 12 years ago.  Amongst the many things he used to do, I still remember being so excited when he used to take me to t-ball, baseball, basketball, and football practices.  He would let me bombard his closet to “borrow” his suits, shirts, and ties.  He knew how to listen, when to give an opinion, when to punish, and when to show love like only he could.  He constantly provided quality time. 
                So many times, as fathers, baby daddies, etc, we think we have to be the superman in the lives of our child (ren).  The truth is children remember what you did during the time you spent with them, and not whether it was 10 minutes or 10 hours.  Our children need quality time with their fathers.  Even if its only an hour that we take from our busy lives, take that hour and spend it wholeheartedly with your child.  The last thing you want is for your child to look at you and ask, Where were you?

Just me

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you nothing beats bonding with your father. good luck bonding with your child i know it will mean the world to him & to you as well.- Tylor N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working in the school system I work with a lot of struggling students (academically or behaviourally) whose parents work two and three jobs and as a result are hardly there for their child. One would wonder if things would improve if only their parents would take the time to take interest in what they do.

    These parents are living outside of their means and now feel like they have no other choice than to work two and three jobs in the name of keeping a roof over their child's head. Yes that's important but if you are working constantly and never spending time with your child what is that going to do. Why not move to a home with less mortgage!

    You are right the child will remember the times you spent with them not the fact that you working to keep a roof over their head. Funny thing is now their child is struggling in school and they still can't find the time to come in to talk to me. What a shame... okay i'm done ranting lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. Time spent with a parent, especially a father, is huge.

    Another question that popped into my mind at the end of your post was "who are you?" Not only is quality time elusive for many parents & children at times, but then when they are together, it's like two strangers meeting up for the first time. And the time spent is awkward & nearly wasted, as you're now trying to reacquaint yourselves as opposed to sharing a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fiana, yea I've been in that system and I know what you are talking about. Crazy.

    Sabrina, well said. I had to learn, and am learning, that my son gets more attached to me when I spend more time with him. Its a natural attachment to mom, but dads really have to build that bond.

    ReplyDelete