Wednesday, May 4, 2011

It Aint Easy


“Unplanned transitions can be just as detrimental as planned complacency”-  Just me
I can remember being a little boy wishing I was a teenager.  When I became a teenager, I dreamed about the day I would be old enough to drive.  As a young driver, I longed for the day when I was 18 and able to go where I wanted.  18 came, and I constantly thought about life in and after college.  After college I often contemplated what it would be like being a parent.  Then it happened.
Being a parent is truly one of the greatest responsibilities, and opportunities, that can bestowed on a human being.  Some take it for granted, and others long for the chance to hear someone call them mommy or daddy.  With trepidation, we pick up books, buy clothes, remodel rooms, and send out sonography pictures.  We attend Lamaze classes, seek out daycares, and install over-the-top car seats/carriers/etc.
All this is done, but are we really prepared?  Anybody that has ever been blessed with a child will tell you that it’s one of those things where you learn as you go.  I can remember one night when my son was just a week or two old.  He began choking on mucous.  My wife and I panicked, and I jumped up to dial 911.  My mother-in-law comely came in and suctioned my son.  By the time the ambulance arrived, he was breathing normal.  So we learned a valuable and instrumental lesson.
With all that being said, I would argue that parenting is one area where unplanned transitions can be as detrimental as planned complacency.  So we decide to have kids, or do what it takes to make one, but we never put full thought into how will handle the different phases and issues of their lives.  We plan for the pretty colors on the wall, but “hope” they never have any dirty secrets.  We buy them a piggy bank, but we never inspire them to own a bank.  We tell them that education is important, but we don’t read to them or with them.  So we plan to do good parental things, but we don’t take the time to be good parents.  Point in case, how many of us have parental support groups?  What was the last parenting book we read?  Did we share with someone else a lesson we learned about a real issue in our child’s life, beyond the playful problems of the dreaded terrible two’s
We as parents have to do better to and for our kids.  If we refuse to be better, then it’s better that we don’t become.  This crosses financials, emotional support, rational development, and even time support.  Our kids require a lot, but they don’t expect much.  They expect to be fed, held, and loved.  Yes I know parenting aint easy, but what is?

Just Me

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honesty. I've often told people that parenting is something that's challenging to thoroughly prepare for and you don't realize how far-reaching it is until you're immersed in it. Labour and childbirth are just one day--it's the rest of the life that really counts.

    Parenting is probably one of the most ultimate sacrifices a human can make. Yes, society like to attach limits and values to sacrifices, which makes it even more challenging to give completely of yourself.

    You've planted some great seeds of thought. I'll have to put my own words into a blog post myself now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple comment: My Neck hurts! Riley sleeps in our bed! Im too busy/lazy/tired to get her off the bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh yeah did I mention the post partum blues that im digging myself out of a year later? Oh and my ambitions to take over the world have been put on hold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sabrina,

    You know I enjoy sharing as I learn. Pass on the word, and get that blog going :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stace,

    Like I said, it aint easy :). But we asked for it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Anthony! I love reading your blog! Parenting is definitely something I am always striving to be better at. I recently bought this parenting book called "Raise your kids without raising your voice" by Sarah Radcliffe. I haven't started reading it yet but plan to start next week. There is a quote that I really like that I posted on my Facebook profile a while ago "Parents can tell, but never teach, unless they practice what they preach." - Arnold Glasow

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's my post:

    http://babyrowe.blogspot.com/2011/05/reason-why-no-one-told-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Kelly. It sounds like an interesting read. #tothebookstoreigo :)

    ReplyDelete