Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Obama “Misunderstimation”


                The 43rd President of these United States, George W. Bush, is known for several unflattering verbal outlays.  The selfish attack on the English vernacular that sticks out the most was the infamous, “Don’t misunderstimate me”.  The new President used this phrase as a response to the heated 2000 elections he’d just won.  I’m assuming his point was to not underestimate his abilities, or the power of his influence.  Arguably, I don’t think we underestimated his abilities, but we definitely may have done so as it relates to his influence.
                We fast forward 8 years later, and we find the first President with visible African American physical attributes and heritage being sworn into office.  Some said he wasn’t black enough, some said he was an elitist, and others said he was just too inexperienced.  As the black community, most of my people waited with baited breath to see what he would do for us.  Some thought that maybe he would eradicate long-standing stereotypes.  Others thought he would finally do something about the racial inequities found in prisons, educational institutions, and in the job market.  Some even hoped that he would be able to bring an end to DWB (driving while black), and the apparent issues of Police violence on African American men.  Some are still waiting with baited breath.
                I am not one that thinks the President is against reproach, or that his policies and ideologies are perfect.  I too have been disappointed in some things that have and/or haven’t happened.  Yet, like Bush, we never underestimated his abilities.  From day one we knew he was a prolific speaker, and that he had the ability to lead and bring people together.  His educational pedigree proved that he has a brilliant mind, and is a critical thinker.  So yea, we knew/ know of his abilities.  I think the issue is that we have “misunderestimated” the power of his influence.
                I sat with pride, as I watched the inauguration of a President that not only looked like me, but could at least in part, understand my culture and my struggle as a black man.  My chest was puffed; shoulders broadened, and chin held high as I realized that I could tell my children about this experience.  I felt a renewed since of optimism in the idea that I could do anything I wanted to do.  Yes, that’s the power of influence.  I saw it on the face of many people.
                Somehow we forgot that every leader needs a team.  We got him in office, but forgot we had to work.  So we sit back and do nothing for our communities.  We don’t educate and empower our youth to prevent introduction into the penal system.  We don’t enlighten drug dealers that are only doing what they are doing because they don’t know any other way.  We don’t set up programs to help rehabilitate our young men and women after they leave incarceration to prevent the re-entrance.  We don’t teach our young men how to deal with an unruly and ignorant Police Officer.  We don’t create jobs to help with our community’s unemployment.  All we do is sit back and move back into our proverbial “Crabs in the bucket” safety zone.
                Yes, President Obama can do more.  In the same manner, maybe MLK could’ve given more speeches.  Maybe Malcolm could’ve employed more desperate measures.  Maybe Rep. John Lewis could’ve taken more beatings.  Maybe even Jesus Christ Himself could’ve healed and touched more people.  Yes, leaders are chosen for their abilities, but they should also be revered for their power of influence.  Seeing this man achieve something that no other black man has should motivate us to do what no one else has done before.  It’s easy to throw stones, when your feet are up and there’s no fire under your ass.  Can we as a people, pick up the torch and be the change we want others to create for us?  Or will we continue to “misunderestimate” the power of influence created by this, the first black President of the United States, Barack Obama?
Just me

No comments:

Post a Comment