Monday, June 13, 2011

How Many Lives Does It Take?

                On my morning rides to work I normally try to catch up with the latest news.  This morning as I checked the news brief, I noticed a headline that was very troubling to me.  “SF Bay transit cop convicted in killing released”.  My stomach began to turn as I read the article.
                The officer in this case, takes an unarmed man off a train for “fighting”.  While the young man, Oscar Grant, lies on his stomach the officer pulls out his gun and fatally shoots Grant.  The officer’s defense was that he thought he pulled out his taser rather than his firearm.  I could go on a rant about how a trained officer “should” know the difference between a taser and a firearm.  I could argue about whether or not, an unarmed man lying on his stomach needs to be tased.  While those will provide for heated discussion and debate, those facts aren’t my reason behind this post.
                There are some great disparities in this country when it comes to the justice system.  How can we handout 5+ jail sentences for crimes such as possession, theft, etc., but in the same breath give a man 2-year sentence after he murders an unarmed man?  Even more so then that, he then only serves 11 months out of the 2 years.
                Just last week, the world was in uproar about Rep. Weiner sending pics to women.  The Christian community was in shambles because Eddie Long settled a case.  For the past 9 months the sports world has spewed out unprecedented lashings on LeBron James over his decisions.  Everybody did so under the idea that these men were leaders, and should be held to a higher standard based on their status.  Yet today, I haven’t heard one peep about how this officer has been let off with pretty much a slap on the wrist as another young man lays 6-feet deep.
                If we can hold other “leaders” to such high standards, then should we not do the same for those we entrust with our lives and safety?  I would imagine that this officer has made several arrests, and those on the receiving end of his arrests were given much harsh time for less abrasive offenses.  Yet our justice system somehow feels that 2 years is a long enough punishment for murder.  Then they also feel that it after 11 months he’s served enough time.  Where is the justice in this?
                As a person with many friends in, and a high respect for, law enforcement, this act continues an unsettling trend.  A sworn officer of the law can beat and kill a person, yet serve less time than the common drug dealer they arrest on a daily basis.  I think an armed man with the authority of government should be held to a higher duty than they currently are.
                Some would argue that he’s a good cop that made a mistake.  Well I have a “good” cousin that’s serving over 25 years for a mistake.  I’m also sure that there are prisons all over the country that are filled with good moms, dads, brothers, sisters, etc., who have all made a mistake and now they are serving time.  I learned a long time ago that life is partially about the decisions we make, and the other part is how we deal with the consequences.  Yes there’s always room for grace and mercy to anyone guilty of a mistake, but we can’t ridicule other “leaders” for their mistakes and then continue to let “trained” leaders make mistakes that cost the lives of unarmed individuals.
                I also understand that the life and job of an officer is very dangerous and stressful.  I don’t mean to sound harsh, but if you can’t handle the pressure responsibly then don’t take the position.  Every leader has stress and pressures that can cause them to act in opposition to expectations of the position.  Yet we don’t cut them any slack when they mess up, so why should we do so with officers?
                At times I’m very scared for what my son will have to face.  I’ve been pulled over for some very questionable stuff, and I could’ve easily been on the wrong end of a “mistake”.  For the sakes of Oscar Grant, Jerrod Miller, Lorenzo Collins, Amadou Diallo, and many others, it’s time we hold our law enforcement leaders to the same expectations we hold others.  How many more have to die before we do?
Just Me

No comments:

Post a Comment