Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Will the Real Christian Please Stand Up

“Love is often only shared when it comes to giving, but it suddenly disappears when it comes to forgiving”- Just Me
                Almost a year ago, I watched with intrigue and anticipation as the word got out about the Bishop Eddie Long Scandal.  There were 2 victims in the beginning, and before you knew it there were 4.  I observed how the members of his church garnered overwhelming support, assuring that they would give him a fair chance to fight the accusations.  As a fresh 1L (1st year Law Student) I began to have debates with contemporaries based on my newfound knowledge of the legal system.   Based on his actions, was he guilty or not? 
As I sit almost a year later, I’m once again observing how people are now reacting to the multi-million dollar settlement.   There are some that are outraged that Long has settled, which to them appears to be an admission of guilt.  They are also furious that he hasn’t addressed the issue, but has reportedly swept it under the rug and is moving on.  They don’t understand how one can commit such a heinous act, but still go on living as if nothing has happened.  They feel that Long betrayed them by saying he would fight the accusations, but all along he knew they were true.  They are pissed, hurt, and sad that another person of power, prowess, and position has been undertaken by a scandal.  There are some that are ready to march around the proverbial walls of New Birth, and see to it that Long is removed by any means necessary.
                Across the aisle from them stand another group of people who share some of the same emotions.  They are sad, hurt, disappointed, angry, and ready to march.  It is apparent that their march is being led by Long’s cross-town co-worker, Creflo Dollar.  Their march is for the restoration of Long.  They feel that his acts were reprehensible, or in the words of Dollar “a wreck”.  They will say, “Yes Long is guilty, but.”  Although Long’s attendee number have reportedly withered, there are still some standing strong.  Unlike journalist Roland Martin, I have never tithed the ministry of Long or Dollar.  I am often at odds with their theological aspects on Christianity.  So I can’t say that I’m a true “fan” of either one of them. 
                Over my life I have made some terrible mistakes.  Some I’m still living with the consequences for, and some I might have yet to experience the consequences.  Through these mistakes I have come to a more “mature” understanding of what it is like to be on the same end of the blame as Long.  While I do not, will not, and cannot condone his actions, nor can I condone his refusal to act as if nothing has happened, I do see both sides of this argument.
As a person that has always been in leadership positions, people require more.  Although they aren’t willing to be/do perfect, they expect it from their leader.  Long was COMPLETELY wrong in his actions.  I can’t subscribe to the conspiracy theory that a settlement is an admission of full guilt, but I do believe that settlements occur from making a messy situation even messier.  So there was some messiness happening, and at the least Long should be able to address that to his parishioners.   For me to talk about the “hypocritical” portion would be hypocritical of me, because I’m guilty of doing things I’ve talked against.  So I will stick with saying that yes the messiness should be addressed in some way.  I’m all for calling sin by its rightful name.  If you read any of my posts, then you know I constantly admit how I fall, fail, mess up, and disappoint.  I believe that calling sin by its right name begins with us calling our own names first.
                On the other side, I often struggle with how hard we love when someone is giving, but our love disappears when it comes to forgiving.  We tend to become “bandwagon lovers”.  We stick around and support each other when things are good, and everything is smooth sailing.  This is in no way a defense of Long, but a simple self-observation.  We as a people tend to love the gravy train, but jump ship when the storms of life come.  The only difference between us and Long is that his “messiness” is public.  No, some of us would never molest boys or commit any sexual crimes.  Yet each of us have done, and will do, some things that are disturbing to others.
                Some people argue that the problem with the church is that we cover up the “messiness” too much.  While there is some truth and solid weight to that, I can also support the argument that we throw away the “messy” too much.  Beyond the indiscretions of Long, are a host of individuals that have committed some wrong.  In the name of “protecting” the church, we throw them to the wayside for their public wrongs, while we hide our private wrongs.  I would even venture to say that Long himself might have been guilty of this prior to this issue.  Where are the “messy” to go?  If one can’t find forgiveness and restoration in an entity that claims to following after the ultimate forgiver, then is there really any hope for anyone?
                My question is do we somehow find relief in the failings of others?  Does it make us feel better about our own dirt when we can point to someone else as being the guilty one?  When a person falls from grace, does that help us stand up from our fall?  Maybe we can chalk it up as one of the consequences of making horrible life decisions.  If so, then are we ready to have to face those same consequences for the horrible life decisions we’ve made?  Who is the better “Christian”, the person’s whose messiness is currently on display, or the person’s whose messiness has been and/or will be on display next?  I pose this question to myself and to you, “Will the real Christian please stand up?” if there is one.
Just me

No comments:

Post a Comment